7 Day Technical Climbing South-East Normal Route
Day 1: Nairobi – Sirimon gate- Old Moses camp. ( 3,300m)
After pick up in Nairobi, drive to Nanyuki town for lunch crossing the equator en route to the Sirimon Park gate (2660m). From the gate, we trek up through magnificent montane forest, bamboo and giant heather zone before reaching the high altitude moorland and our first hut (Old Moses camp 3,300m) for dinner and overnight. This is a gentle trek that takes 3 – 4 hrs gaining an elevation of 680m.
Day 2: Old Moses – Shipton camp (4200m).
After breakfast, follow the track uphill, forking right at the junction. After a water break, you continue on the track crossing Ontulili River before turning right contouring through the Moorland and crossing Liki North River and continue uphill to Mackinders Valley from where there are panoramic views up the valley towards the Shipton Camp. This camp is a surreal setting below the towering peaks and glacier. The resident population is of Rock hyrax and sunbirds.
Day 3: Shipton – Mackinder’s Camp (4200m)
For better acclimatization, we kick off our peak circuit trek. Today we go anticlockwise, first through Hausberg Col at 4591m, and then pass between Oblong and Hausberg Tarns. You then climb up to Nanyuki and Two Tarns before descending to Mackinder’s Camp on the South Western side of the peak, at about 4200 meters for dinner and overnight.
Day 4: Mackinder’s Camp – Point Lenana (4,985m) – Austrian Hut (4,720m)
Today we continue our trek up to Top Hut (Austrian Hut) 4,800m. From this Hut we make a short ascent of Point Lenana, 4,985m,. Point Lenana is the common trekker’s Mount Kenya ” Summit”
Day 5: Austrian Hut – Nelion (5188m) – Batian (5199m)
(Climbing day) South-East Face of Nelion Grade IV. 7 Hours to Batian.
Day 6: Austrian Hut – Meru Mount Kenya Bandas Lodge.
After breakfast, our trek out begins and we are to hike down by the Scenic Chogoria Route. Our trek out begins with a descent to Mintos Hut. From here we follow the backbone of a ridge, overlooking the spectacular Gorges Valley. Losing elevation fast we leave the high moorlands and enter into the forest belt that surrounds Mount Kenya. As we approach the cabins of Meru Mount Kenya Bandas (our destination for the night) we are most likely to spot Cape buffalo, Bush Buck, and tracks of other wild animals. The Bandas are a welcome luxury! With hot showers, a fine evening logs fire, a BED! Without mentioning a cold beer.
Day 7: Meru Bandas – Chogoria town – Nairobi.
After breakfast, we hike the first hour or so enjoying the bamboo forest. We often see Elephant tracks, and signs of many other wild animals. We continue further down up to the 10-kilometre mark where we are picked up by a 4 by 4 wheel drive vehicle and continue the drive to Chogoria town and switch to another vehicle for transfer back to Nairobi arriving by 17:hrs.
Included in the price:
– Airport transfers.
– All camping equipment.
– Transfer to and from the base of the mountain.
– Full board accommodation whilst on the trek.
– 3 Meals a day ( special diet vegetarian and halal).
– Accommodations in camps/huts as per the itinerary.
– All park entrance fees to include government taxes.
– Service of an English speaking professional guide, porters and skilled cook.
– Start and finish Nairobi.
– Water -You just need bottled-water only on the first day. The rest of the days we boil or add purifying tablets then filter using MSR water filtering pump before refilling in your water bottles in the morning.
– Rescue fee.
– H.F Radio communication for backup incase or rescue.
Excluded in the price:
– Hiking equipment.
– Soft drinks.
– Accommodation before and after the trek.
– Climbing gears ( we have them for hire).
– International flights.
– Visas to Kenya.
– Items of personal nature.
– Any other extras not detailed in the above itinerary.
– No mosquito net.
NB: Proper equipment is vital to a safe and enjoyable trek.